Car Data Check
As part of our commitment to offering motorists the very best information associated with owning and running a vehicle in the UK, we can provide below a useful guide to obtaining an online car data check.
Obtaining a car history report (before you buy!) can sometimes reveal facts about the vehicle’s past i.e. previous accidents, turned back or ‘clocked’ odometer, failed emission test, flooding, number of owners, etc. To instigate a vehicle check you will often need just the vehicle’s VIN number – (definition: The manufacturer’s serial number as shown on supporting documents).
There are a small number of legitimate and trustworthy companies offering this service in the UK. One of the industry leaders of this service is Experian. AutoCheck can help to narrow the search and will save you time. Once you have identified a few possible cars all you need to do is to enter the registration numbers into AutoCheck and you will receive lots of very useful information. AutoCheck Is Very Comprehensive.
1 car in 3 has a hidden history. There are 26 possible pieces of information available about the car. AutoCheck will tell you:
1. If a finance agreement is recorded
2. If it has been written-off
3. If it is currently recorded as stolen
4. If a vehicle is being traced by a third party and is at risk of fraud or theft
5. A full description including the make, model, colour, date of first registration, engine size and number, transmission and number of gears, body style, year of manufacture.
6. How many keepers the car has had prior to the current keeper
7. If it has had any colour changes
8. If it has had any registration plate changes
9. If it has been used and imported from outside the EU
10. If it has been exported
11. If the DVLA have it recorded as Scrapped
12. Mileage information – has it been clocked? (Not available for all vehicles)
13. CO2 Emissions
14. Vehicle excise duty band and cost of 12 months tax
15. Confirmation of the VIN before you buy
The DVLNI strongly recommends that anyone considering buying a used car privately should take practical steps to limit the chances of being sold a stolen vehicle. Make sure you click through to read the full list of tips and advice.