To view website copy and paste the following url into your browser bar:

This review of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) provides visitors to our web site with a general overview of the workings of this organisation. Links are given below to direct motorists to important and relevant sections of the DVLA web site. Call the DVLA on telephone number: 0300 790 6802.

Te DVLA is an Executive Agency of the Department for Transport (DfT). The Agency is accountable to the Secretary of State and Ministers and, through them, to Parliament and the public, for efficient and effective management of the Agency and its responsibilities.

The main objective of the DVLA is to facilitate road safety and general law enforcement by maintaining registers of drivers and vehicles, and to collect vehicle excise duty (car tax).

The section Vehicle Information provides information about registering and taxing your car, number plates and registration marks (including personalised registration numbers), importing/exporting vehicles, fighting vehicle crime and consumer advice on buying a used vehicle.

Legal obligations as a driver and/or keeper of a vehicle
As the Driver of a vehicle there are duties and obligations you must meet before driving or keeping a vehicle on the road. You must also tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of any changes to your personal or vehicle details. The information below details the relevant documentation and accreditation you need to acquire before you can legally own a vehicle and use the public highways:

Before you drive or ride you must:

• Hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle being driven
• Meet driver minimum age requirements
• Meet the legal eyesight standards

As a learner driver you must:

• Be supervised by a qualified driver
• Display L plates

Before taking a vehicle on the road, the vehicle must:

• Be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
• Have a valid vehicle tax disc
• Hold a current test certificate (if this is required)

As the registered vehicle owner, you must:

• Have the minimum of Third Party Car Insurance which covers your use of the vehicle

You must tell the DVLA if you:

• Change your address and or name
• Make any alterations to your vehicle
• Sell your vehicle
• Develop or have a medical condition
• Changes to your registration certificate