EU and International Licence Insurance

Lower car insurance premiums for EU and international driving licence holders, regardless of whether this is your first policy or you are searching for a cheaper motor quote on renewal. Individuals taking up permanent residence in the UK from an international country will first need to secure a social security number before proceeding to purchase a new car insurance policy.

EU and International Licence Insurance

Click through on the ‘Get a Quote’ button above to compare EU and international driving licence car insurance quotes from over 110 of the leading UK motor insurers, and obtain the most suitable fully featured cover and protection you require. The Quotezone click and compare service is entirely free to use. It is a totally independent and impartial insurance comparison site, already helping over 1 million drivers across the UK to get the best deal.

Motor policies for EU and European driving licence holders. If you are a European Union resident and in Great Britain permanently or for an extended period of time then, if you wish to drive you will need car insurance cover. Finding affordable policies is easier now with the Internet, enabling comparison quotes from a range of insurers. Get a new quote if you are a National from the following European member states:

• Germany; France; Italy; Spain
• Poland; Romania; Netherlands; Belgium
• Greece; Portugal; Czech Republic; Hungary
• Sweden; Austria; Bulgaria; Denmark
• Finland; Slovakia; Ireland; Croatia
• Lithuania; Slovenia; Latvia; Estonia
• Cyprus; Luxembourg; Malta

Virtually all of the top motor insurance providers can be accessed here. Young drivers through to senior citizens can get covered, in addition to most types of vehicle from 4×4 to performance and sports cars.

Your driving license is classed as a EU license and valid in the UK (at least until you are 70). Most car insurance companies ask “UK or EU license” or have a separate “EU license” on the application form (online as well). You shouldn’t really pay much more premium for having a EU license.

If you need car insurance for an international drivers license while you are here on a Visa stay, then your first priority should be to learn UK driving and parking rules. The best starting point is the website of the DVLA to help get acquainted with the rules of the road.

By presenting your country’s own license to the DVLA, you may be able to get an international driver’s license (IDL) depending on your jurisdiction. This small card is what you need to secure international drivers car insurance. Once you are in possession of and IDL you can simply obtain a new online car insurance quote through HomeApproved.

International Driving Permit
An International Driving Permit (IDP) allows you to drive a private motor vehicle overseas when accompanied by a valid UK driving licence. IDP’s are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Foreign Nationals Driving in Great Britain on a non-GB licence
This GOV.UK resource provides excellent information and a starting point to see if you can drive in Great Britain with your non-GB driving licence. Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland.

The Highway Code
If you are driving a vehicle on the highways and motorways of the UK then it is imperative that you are: A) aware of the Highway Code and B) have a knowledge of what it represents.